Hi, How Can We Help You?

Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)

Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)

The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for people who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade. The Minimum requirements for eligibility are to:

  • meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening)
  • have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the five years before applying
  • meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as specified in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), except for needing a certificate of qualification, and
  • have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a Certificate of Qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.

Full Time work is defined as: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1-year full time (1,560 hours)

Part time work is defined as: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1-year full time (1,560 hours)

NOTE: Up to two employers can commit to employing you for at least one year of continuous full-time work, meaning a total of at least 30 hours of work per week.

The Express Entry System is used to select candidates in this category.

Federal Skilled Trades Program applications must be made based on the 2011 version of the NOC. Skilled Trades currently eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under major and minor groups of the NOC.

  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades,
  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades,
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production,
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators,
  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks, and
  • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers.


Education Requirement

There is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. However, you can earn points for your education under Express Entry and you will need:

  • a Canadian post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree


  • a completed foreign credential, and an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by CIC. [The report must show your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree

Note: You will only benefit from getting an ECA if your foreign education is equivalent to a completed Canadian high school diploma or greater.


Language Requirement

You must:

  • meet the minimum language level of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB)

CLB 5 for speaking and listening, CLB 4 for reading and writing; language proficiency must be backed by a language test approved by IRCC that shows you meet the required levels.

  • You must show that you meet the requirements in English or French by including the test results at the time of setting up your Express Entry profile. Test results must not be more than two years old on the day you apply for permanent residence.


Know more about FSTP   Click here for a free online assessment

WeCreativez WhatsApp Support
A Consultant is here to answer your questions. Ask us anything!
👋 Hi, how can I help?